Five Ways to Beat Wintertime Blues
Winter can be wonderful, with the promise of holiday cheer and the onset of a new year—but it can also put a deep freeze on your wellness. As the snow and temperatures fall, your mood can, too. Despite this, wintertime woes don’t have to stop you from living and feeling your best. You can still work on your wellness during the winter months to warm up your spirits.
Don’t let wintertime blues put a damper on your wellness. Here are some tips to keep your spirits high during this busy time of year:
- Lighten up! Shorter winter days mean less chance to soak in the sun. You can increase your light exposure by keeping blinds and curtains open longer, and trying to sit near windows whenever possible. Artificial lights can also benefit your mood. With less sunlight in the sky, you may find your alarm going off while it’s still dark. But you can make your mornings easier by investing in a light that slowly gets brighter to mimic the sunrise.
- Keep it moving. Exercise is a great way to boost your mood. So don’t let the cold weather outside keep you from your normal routine! Take walks at work or at home, or browse local shops to get yourself moving. Working out in the gym under bright lights can also lift your spirits.
- Tune in. Listening to music is another great way to improve your mood. Choose upbeat tunes like pop music while you’re hanging around the house or as a mood enhancer while you’re working out.
- Find comfort in food. Green tea, citrus fruits, soups and stews can offer immunity-boosting relief during the winter months, when cold and flu season peaks. Maintaining a diet that balances lean protein, fruits, veggies and whole grains will also keep your mood and energy levels high. Foods that contain omega-3 fatty acids, like salmon, walnuts and spinach, are also a natural way to fight depression.
- Get away. What better way to escape the blues than to go on vacation? Even just planning a getaway has been shown to increase happiness. Schedule a trip to somewhere warm and sunny and leave the cold behind.
Stay warm—and well—this winter!
Winter doesn’t have to come with the blues. You can help yourself stay healthy by sticking with your normal wellness routine, like exercising and eating a well-balanced diet. Above all, don’t let stress get to you during this time of year. Take time to socialize and help those around you. And remember—those warm, sunny days are right around the corner.
Looking for more wellness?
The Healthy Merits Wellness Program from Meritain Health is a great way to provide your employees with plenty of exciting ways to be well. To learn more, download our brochure or contact your Meritain Health representative.