Five Ways to Ensure a Successful Open Enrollment
Healthcare benefits are important to your employees. First, they create the warm and fuzzy feeling that you care—and according to a recent study*, employees are 38 percent more productive when they feel their employer cares about their well-being. Second, they help your workers to be healthier, which can help improve their focus on the job. Also, healthcare benefits add to the value of employment at your organization—so it’s always a good idea to let your staff know when it’s time to enroll, either for the first time, or to change their benefits selection if already enrolled.
Open enrollment is a great opportunity to help your employees understand how their benefits work, so they can choose the plan that meets their needs and the needs of their families. A solid benefits understanding also helps them use products and services effectively for good health.
If your healthcare benefits plan renewal is January 1, now is the time to begin planning for open enrollment. You can rest assured you’re on the right path with these five tips for success:
- Hold an on-site enrollment fair. Employees will need to know the benefits available so they can make the best choices, as well as how to use healthcare services for sick or preventive care. One of the best ways to impart valuable benefits information is through an on-site health fair with a representative available for Q&A. The Meritain Health Client Solutions team works closely with you during open enrollment, often participating in on-site meetings. This can help ensure a positive educational experience for employees. Contact your Meitain Health representative to see if on-site meetings are available in your area.
- Offer online benefit services. Online plan information allows employees to learn about benefits anytime that’s convenient. When employees log in at www.meritain.com, they gain access to online tools that help them maximize their benefits plan selection through:
• Comparison of plan design options.
• Estimation of pending or future treatment costs.
• Location of network providers.
• Comparison of providers based on cost of services.
- Offer educational follow-up. Takeaways give employees a resource they can review on their own for more benefits information. Meritain Health’s enrollment kits, flyers, posters, postcards and paycheck stuffers can be customized to address benefits education or wellness topics. Electronic versions of our materials are available free of charge, which can be circulated by email or your company intranet.
- Boost your wellness program. If you offer a wellness program, open enrollment season is a great time to remind employees. Some of your workers may already participate, while others do not—possibly because they’re unsure how to join. This can help foster awareness, enthusiasm, increased participation—and even improved wellness.
- Understand healthcare reform. The Affordable Care Act requires applicable large employers (defined as having 50 or more full-time employees in the previous calendar year) to offer healthcare benefits coverage annually to all eligible active employees and their dependents under 18 years of age. For more information and to avoid penalties, please contact your Meritain Health representative. We provide guidance and support to help you ensure your plan stays in compliance with all ACA regulations.
Preparation is your best plan for a successful open enrollment, and we can help.
For more information about online tools, educational materials or on-site meetings, please contact your Meritain Health representative.
* Workplace Well-Being: Provide Meaningful Benefits to Energize Employee Health, Engagement and Performance; Limeade® and Quantum Workplace; 2015