Have you gotten your flu shot yet?
If not—there’s still time! Each year, flu season presents a threat from October all the way through May. And the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommend a flu shot as the single most effective way to help yourself and your family stay healthy! It’s easy and convenient to get your flu shot, as most major pharmacy chains offer them on demand. Just check with your employer to see if it’s covered under your benefits plan.
Other simple ways to prevent the flu
In addition to your flu shot, you can take these steps to stay healthy this season:
1. Wash your hands. Lurking on commonly touched surfaces, like door knobs and subway turnstiles, are germs that can lead to the flu. So remember to wash your hands frequently, especially before you eat. Wash thoroughly from your wrists to your fingertips with warm water and soap.
2. Use hand sanitizer. If you can’t get to a sink to wash your hands, hand sanitizer is the next best thing. Keep a few travel-sized containers in your purse or pocket to clean your hands on the go.
3. Cover your mouth when you cough or sneeze. Use a tissue if you can, or cover your mouth with your hand. Then be sure to wash your hands afterwards.
4. Keep your distance from those who are sick. This can be hard during the holidays when you want to gather with friends and family members—but coming down with a cold or the flu can add extra stress to the busy holiday season. If you know someone is sick, give them the space they need to get well.
5. Rest up if you get sick. Your best choice is to just stay home. This will give your body the time it needs to rest and recover, but also prevent the spread of germs to your friends and coworkers.
Beat the flu this season!
Don’t let the flu get you down. Remember to get your flu shot and follow these easy tips to stay in tip-top health.