Are you ready to get more active, but not sure where to begin? That’s okay! Starting a fitness plan can be one of the best steps you take for good health. You can jumpstart your fitness with these six steps:
- Check with your doctor. He or she can help you assess your current fitness level, to help you choose a plan that’s safe for you.
- Outline your goals. What are your goals? Do you want to be more flexible, lose weight, get stronger, or something else? When you know what you want to achieve, it can help you decide what physical activities to try.
- Choose your plan. You might join a gym, begin a walking program, join a local sports league or try yoga. Whatever you choose, pick something you find fun for the motivation to keep going. It can also help to try a few different things for variety.
- Go at your own pace. You don’t need to keep up with anyone else. Take your fitness schedule at a pace that challenges but doesn’t exhaust you. For example, you may want to try walking for 15 minutes after work three days per week. You can tack more onto your schedule as it feels right.
- Be more active during the day. A great way to get more exercise is by moving more during your day. You can do this easily by parking farther from the building at work, or taking the stairs instead of the elevator.
- Keep it interesting. By trying new and different activities, you’ll help yourself stay interested and stick with your fitness plan.