Ten Ways to Be Well This Summer
Summer is fast approaching on the heels of spring—are you ready? The summertime months become an open book of possibilities for activities and events—and they’re a great time to jumpstart your wellness if it lagged during the colder months. If you’re looking for ways to fit in more fitness, eat healthy or get social, we present ten ways to take full advantage of the summer.
As the weather warms up, you can try any of the following as fun new ways to be well:
- Explore your surroundings. Depending upon where you live, you may have plenty of options to hike, bike, walk, run, camp or swim close by or within a short drive. Just consider state, national and local parks, bike paths, beaches, campgrounds and other outdoor locations. And while you’re outside, don’t forget your shades to protect your eyes from UV rays. Check the label to be sure they protect against the full spectrum—with 99–100 percent protection from both UV-A and UV-B radiation.
- Compete. In support of many charitable organizations and causes, you can sign up for a wide range of running, walking or biking events. And to up the fun factor, you’ll be able to choose from themed events, such as mud runs, “color” runs and obstacle courses, depending on what is offered in your area.
- Visit a farmers’ market. For fresh, seasonal fruits and vegetables, you can visit your local farmers’ market or produce stand. Also, many grocery store chains offer locally grown produce, especially during the summertime. Then, just visit the Internet for tips and recipes to help you prepare items you’ve never tried before.
- Have a healthy potluck or recipe swap. Looking for new things to cook, but not sure where to start? Just hold a summer potluck with friends and family. The twist? Everyone must bring a healthy item, with the recipe to share. If you’re short on time, simply ask around for favorite healthy recipes.
- Flavor your water naturally. Water is your best option for hydration during the heat of the summer. But if you’re bored with plain water, why not add subtle flavor with sliced fruits or veggies? You can try cucumbers, strawberries, pineapple, etc.
- Try some new equipment. When you’re feeling bored with your workout, one of the easiest ways to motivate yourself is with new equipment. This could be as simple as a new playlist on your MP3 player or new sneakers, or as complex as a brand new bike.
- Join a summer sports league. You can check the Internet or local community centers for summertime sports leagues. You may find teams that play softball, kickball, baseball or volley ball.
- Look for outdoor fitness classes. A new trend that is catching on in many areas is outdoor fitness classes, such as yoga, Zumba, barre or kick boxing. To find an outdoor class in your area, check with local community centers.
- Hit the beach. If you have one near you or within driving distance, the beach offers a natural way to get more exercise. You can swim or simply walk along the water’s edge to add a little resistance to your steps. And when you’re done moving, the soothing sounds of water, waves and birds can help you reduce your stress level.
- Don’t forget your pooch. Being a pet owner is a great motivator to get outside and get moving. You can always bring your dog with you on walks around the block or nature hikes (just check ahead to be sure the area is pet friendly). And you may notice that your four-legged friend encourages you to go just a little further or stay out just a little bit longer.
Have fun and be well this summer!
As you go about your summertime adventures, just remember to stay well hydrated—always bring a bottle of water with you. And don’t forget the sunscreen—choose an SPF of 30 or higher, and apply according to the instructions on the label.
Looking for more wellness?
The Healthy MeritsSM Wellness Program from Meritain Health is a great way to provide your employees with plenty of exciting ways to be well. To learn more, click here or contact your Meritain Health representative.